I consider myself to be an avid baker, never went to school for it but it is something that I love to do and I am pretty good at it, if I must say so myself. I just love to bake and it is mostly cakes and cookies but I am always looking for new recipes and I have had some epic fails, but I also found some good stuff through trial and error.
But there is still so much to learn and I am always looking for different tips and tricks, so I have put together a list, now some of these you may already know or you might learn something new. I am going to be honest I have not tried all of these yet, there are a few that I forgot about but I will eventually try them. If you know of some tips that work for you and you dont see it listed let me know and I will add it to the list. then you can pull this list out whenever you start baking.
– Freeze cake layers before frosting, for about 30 minutes at least. It makes frosting the cake so much easier and it also helps avoid cracking and getting crumbs in your frosting.
– Add 1 tbs honey to any cake batter it will help to keep your cake moist. You dont have to change any of the ingredients this is just an add in, it can be added to a box cake mix or a cake made from scratch.
– After adding the batter to the cake pan tip it from side to side slightly this will level the batter, put a little on the sides of the pan, it will make a flatter cake.
– Before frosting or filling your cake sprinkle powder sugar on each layer, this will keep the filling from soaking through the cake.
– Always preheat your oven you dont want to bake a cake in a cold oven unless the recipe tells you to do so.
– Substitute two egg whites stiffly beaten for each whole egg the recipe calls for this will help lower the cholesterol.
– Line the bottom of your cake pans with Wax or Parchment paper it comes out easy when it is done and the paper can be removed while the cake is still warm.
– You can use cocoa to coat your pans instead of flour, this will eliminate the white flour look on your cake.
-Sprinkle sugar on top of cake batter before baking it makes for a more even cake.
– To make a bigger cake from a box cake mix add 1/2 c flour, 1/2 c sugar, 1 egg, 1 tsp baking powder to the mix.
– Add a pinch of salt to the sugar and your icing wont be so grainy.
– Make a quick frosting by adding chocolate or strawberry syrup to prepared whipped topping such as cool whip.
– Add a pinch of baking powder to icing made with powdered sugar. It helps avoid cracking and it keeps it moist.
– Add 1 tsp of lemon juice to butter and sugar called for before mixing the rest of the ingredients it helps to make a lighter cake.
Try any of these baking tips the idea is to have fun. Happy Baking !!